Selasa, 28 Februari 2012

Living in a sharehouse? You need an agreement

If you've been hanging out on campus during o-week this year, there's a chance you will have spotted a brochure that looks like this:

These are doing the rounds because in 2011, changes were made to tenancy laws in NSW that affect people living in share housing.
If you rent part of a house or unit from another tenant – and they have a written tenancy agreement with the owner of the premises – then they are your head-tenant.
It is very important that you have a separate written agreement with your head-tenant. Without a written agreement, you will not have the protections of a tenant under NSW tenancy law.
If you are a head-tenant, having a separate written agreement means that the rules are clear and any disputes with other tenants can be resolved formally.
Note that a head-tenant needs written consent from their landlord to sub-let to another person. A landlord must not unreasonably refuse to give consent.

Secure your tenancy

Step 1 – Write up your own agreement. (Click on the sample above to save and run off a copy, or click on this link for a PDF version)

Step 2 –
Sign the agreement and give it to your head-tenant to sign. Keep a copy for yourself.
Contact your local Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service if you need further advice.