Rabu, 07 Maret 2012

Share house post script

We wound up share housing month in 2012 with a reminder that you need to get your share-house agreement in writing - because without a written agreement you may not have the protections of a tenant under NSW tenancy laws...

This message has been doing the rounds on university campuses from one end of NSW to the other, due to the tireless efforts of the Tenants' Advice & Advocacy Services and the student representative bodies at our various tertiary institutions.

But we know that share houses are not always student houses.

If you rent part of a house or unit from another tenant, who
- has a written tenancy agreement with the owner, and
- lives in the property with you
then you need to get your agreement in writing in order for renting laws to apply to you in NSW.

Get your agreement in writing, and avoid the horror of having no rights as a tenant.

Ask any fan of the UK TV series Being Human:
living in a share-house doesn't always have to be a horror story

Contact your local Tenants' Advice and Advocacy Service, or visit www.tenants.org.au for more information.